Mitigating delays in high-rise building projects: The case of Dubai
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Project delays have long been perceived as a regular occurrence in most construction projects worldwide. This study focuses on identifying common delay causes in high rise buildings in Dubai and the effective measures to mitigate those delays. To do so, an extensive literature review was conducted followed by a questionnaire survey. Sixty-eight responses received from professionals working on large high-rise projects in Dubai. The study concludes by ranking the common delay causes as well as the effective measures to mitigate them. The implication of this study is a better understanding and dealing with the challenges associated with the timely delivery of high-rise buildings.
- AECOM Sustainability Report, 2013. Managing Complexity and Building Better Lives, http://www.aecom.com/deployedfiles/Internet/News/Sustainability/AECOM_2013_Sustainability_Report.pdf , viewed 20 May 2018.
- Assaf, S.A. and Al-Hejji, S., 2006. Causes of delay in large construction projects. International journal of project management, vol. 24, no. 4, pp.349-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2005.11.010
- Azhar, S., 2011. Building information modeling (BIM): Trends, benefits, risks, and challenges for the AEC industry. Leadership and management in engineering, vol. 11, no. 3, pp.241-252. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)LM.1943-5630.0000127
- Basarkar, S.S., Manish, K., Mohapatro, B.G. and Mutgi, P.R., 2014. Emerging Trend in Deep Basement Construction: Top-Down Technique. Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE), pp. 01-11
- Chan, A.P., Chan, D.W. and Ho, K.S., 2003. An empirical study of the benefits of construction partnering in Hong Kong. Construction Management and Economics, vol. 2, no.5, pp.523-533. https://doi.org/10.1080/0144619032000056162
- CIOB, 2010. Procurement in the Construction industry. The Chartered Institute of Building.
- Davis, P., Love, P. and Baccarini, D., 2008. Building procurement methods. Research Project No: 2006-034-C-02, Procurement Method Toolkit, Vancouver.
- Dehghan, R. and Ruwanpura, J.Y., 2011. The mechanism of design activity overlapping in construction projects and the time-cost tradeoff function. Procedia Engineering, vol. 14, pp.1959-1965. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.246
- Doloi, H., Sawhney, A., Iyer, K.C. and Rentala, S., 2012. Analysing factors affecting delays in Indian construction projects. International journal of project management, vol. 30, no. 4, pp.479-489. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2011.10.004
- Egan, J., 1998. Rethinking construction. Department of Environment, Transport and the Region.
- Faridi, A.S. and El?Sayegh, S.M., 2006. Significant factors causing delay in the UAE construction industry. Construction Management and Economics, vol. 24, no. 11, pp.1167-1176. https://doi.org/10.1080/01446190600827033
- Gulf Business, 2014. Four Global Design Firms Compete to Create Master plan for Dubai's Burj 2020 District, http://gulfbusiness.com/2014/06/four-global-design-firms-competing-to-create-masterplan-for-dubais-burj-2020-district/#.VTW-BTltufQ, viewed 20 May 2018.
- Li, H., Guo, H.L., Skitmore, M., Huang, T., Chan, K.Y.N. and Chan, G., 2011. Rethinking prefabricated construction management using the VP?based IKEA model in Hong Kong. Construction Management and Economics, vol. 29, no.3, pp.233-245.
- Kone, 2014. Keeping Construction on Schedule, https://www.kone.my/Images/brochure-kone-jumplift_tcm94-25933.pdf , viewed 19 February 2018,
- Koch, J.E., Gransberg, D. and Molenaar, K.R., 2010. Project administration for Design-Build contracts: A primer for owners, engineers, and contractors. ASCE Press/American Society of Engineers. ISBN: 9780784472507. https://doi.org/10.1061/9780784410752
- Ling, F., 2006. Design-Build: How to Increase Its Usage and Its Impact on Architects and Contractors in Singapore. Construction Economics and Building, vol. 6, no.1, pp.12-24.
- Levy, S.M., 2009. Construction process planning and management: An owner's guide to successful projects. Butterworth-Heinemann. ISBN: 978185617-548-7.
- MEED Insight. 2013. Expo 2020 and beyond, viewed 19 February 2019, https://www.meed.com/expo-2020-and-beyond-2/,
- Mackenzie, D.I., 2010. A review of project controls in the UK and methodologies to improve the processes. Unpublished DProf Thesis. Teesside University.
- Mehran, D., 2016. Exploring the Adoption of BIM in the UAE Construction Industry for AEC Firms. Procedia Engineering, vol. 45, pp.1110-1118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2016.04.144
- Oke, A.E., Ibironke, O.T. and Bayegun, O.A., 2017. Appraisal of reward packages in construction firms: A case of quantity surveying firms in Nigeria. Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp.722-737.
- Ren, Z., Atout, M. and Jones, J., 2008, September. Root causes of construction project delays in Dubai. In Procs 24th Annual ARCOM Conference, pp. 1-3.
- Samathar, V.S., 2002. Top-down construction for deep basements. IESL.
- Sambasivan, M. and Soon, Y.W., 2007. Causes and effects of delays in the Malaysian construction industry. International Journal of project management, vol. 25, no. 5, pp.517-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2006.11.007
- Skaik, S., 2014. Beware fast-tracking complex high rise buildings (1074). In Mastering Complex Projects Conference 2014 Engineers Australia, p. 270.
- Solutions. 2014 WSP: High-Rise Solutions, September 2014.
- Sweis, G., Sweis, R., Hammad, A.A. and Shboul, A., 2008. Delays in construction projects: The case of Jordan. International Journal of Project Management, vol. 26, no. 6, pp.665-674. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2007.09.009
- Tyerman David, McCullen Michael. 2010. Time for Change: Reducing Delay and Disruption Risks by Transforming Construction Time and Project Management , http://docplayer.net/14490556-Allocating-resources-with-asta-powerproject-for-construction-projects.html , viewed 19 February 2018.
- Thompson J. and Zadoorian C. 2008. A Case Study for Up-Down Design and Construction Methodology for a High-Rise Development in Los Angeles, California. In: Structural Engineers Association of California 77th Annual Convention,
- The Guardian, 2015. Chinese construction firm erects 57-story skyscraper in 19 days, http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/30/chinese-construction-firm-erects-57-storey-skyscraper-in-19-days, viewed 19 February 2018.
- Yap Jason, Strobel Kristen, Markert Debra, Javanifard Naomi. 2013. Modular Prefabricated Residential Construction: Constraints and opportunities. USA: University of Washington. http://cm.be.washington.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/pub_modprefab_-Skanska_08082013_web.pdf, viewed 19 February 2018 .
- Zidane, Y.J. and Andersen, B., 2018. Causes of Delay and their Cures in Major Norwegian Projects. Journal of Modern Project Management, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 80-91.