Collaborative competencies: Moving from ‘soft skills’ to a legitimate descriptor
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This paper critiques the current expression ‘soft skills,' citing the move towards the use of ‘collaboration' to describe the activities undertaken within project management and cognate disciplines. The paper contrasts the pejorative way ‘soft' is used to describe a skill range, with the constructive, and descriptive, expression ‘collaborative competencies.'
- Amidon, DM 2003, The Innovation Superhighway: Harnessing intellectual capital for sustainable collaborative advantage, Routledge.
- Anderson, C & Gantz, JF 2013, 'Skills requirements for tomorrow's best jobs: Helping educators provide students with the skills and tools they need,' IDC, October, pp. 1-24.
- Andrews, J & Higson, H 2008, 'Graduate employability, 'soft skills' versus 'hard' business knowledge: A European study,' Higher education in Europe, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 411-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/03797720802522627
- Dept. of the Prime Minister and Cabinet 1990, Cooperative Research Centres Program: Guidelines for applicants, by the Australian Government, Australian Government Publishing Service.
- Dept. of the Prime Minister and Cabinet Office of the Chief Scientist 1991, Cooperative Research Centres Program: Guidelines for applicants, by the Australian Government, Australian Government Publishing Service.
- Dept. of the Prime Minister and Cabinet Office of the Chief Scientist 1992, Cooperative Research Centres Program: Guidelines for applicants, by the Australian Government, Australian Government Publishing Service.
- Dept. of the Prime Minister and Cabinet Office of the Chief Scientist 1994, Cooperative Research Centres Program: Guidelines for applicants, by the Australian Government, Australian Government Publishing Service.
- Department of Industry Science and Technology & CRC Australia 1996, Cooperative Research Centres Program: Guidelines for applicants, by the Australian Government, Australian Government Publishing Service.
- Department of Industry Science and Tourism & CRC Australia 1998, Cooperative Research Centres Program: Guidelines for applicants, by the Australian Government, Australian Government Publishing Service.
- Department of Industry Science and Resources & CRC Australia 2000, Cooperative Research Centres Program: Guidelines for applicants, by the Australian Government, Ausinfo.
- Department of Innovation Industry Science and Research 2008, Cooperative Research Centres - programme guidelines, by the Australian Government.
- Department of Industry Innovation and Science 2015, Cooperative Research Centres Programme: Programme Guidelines, by the Australian Government, , https://www.business.gov.au/assistance/internal-assistance/cooperative-research-centres-programme , viewed 10/8/2016.
- Belbin, M 2017, The case for teams, http://www.belbin.com/resources/blogs/the-case-for-teams/ , viewed 22 September 2017.
- Carvalho, MMd & Junior, RR 2015, 'Impact of risk management on project performance: the importance of soft skills,' International Journal of Production Research, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 321-40.https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2014.919423
- Chao, J, Rinaudo, EK & Uhlaner, R 2014, 'Avoiding blind spots in your next joint venture,' McKinsey on Finance, vol. 48, pp. 25-30.
- Deloitte Access Economics 2017, Soft skills for business success, Deloitte Access Economics, Sydney, https://www2.deloitte.com/au/en/pages/economics/articles/soft-skills-business-success.html# , viewed 28 September 2017.
- DeSeCo and OECD 2005, The definition and selection of key competencies, OECD, https://www.oecd.org/pisa/35070367.pdf , viewed 2 October 2017.
- Dickinson, H 2016, 'From New Public Management to New Public Governance: The implications for a 'new public service'', in J Butcher & D Gilchrist (eds), The Three Sector Solution: Delivering public policy in collaboration with not-for-profits and business, ANU, Canberra, pp. 41-60. https://doi.org/10.22459/TSS.07.2016.03
- DuBrin, AJ, Dalglish, C & Miller, P 2012, Leadership, 2nd Asia-Pacific edition. edn, John Wiley & Sons Australia, Milton, Queensland.
- Farag, H 2009, Collaborative Value Creation: An Empirical Analysis of the European Biotechnology Industry, Springer Science & Business Media. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-7908-2145-1
- Flynn, FJ 2006, 'How much is it worth to you? Subjective evaluations of help in organizations', Research in Organizational Behavior, vol. 27, pp. 133-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-3085(06)27004-7
- Frederickson, HG 2014, 'Bureaucrats without borders: Public management and the end of geography,' Prepared remarks at the Northern Illinois University 50th Anniversary Celebration of the Masters of Public Administration Degree Program, March, vol. 20, pp. 1-20.
- Geneca 2011, Doomed from the Start?, http://www.geneca.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Doomed-from-the-Start.pdf , viewed 24 December 2016.
- Godin, S 2017, Let's stop calling them 'soft skills': They might be skills, but they're not soft, altMBA, https://itsyourturnblog.com/lets-stop-calling-them-soft-skills-9cc27ec09ecb, viewed 2 October 2017.
- Goodale, JG & Burke, RJ 1975, 'Behaviorally based rating scales need not be job specific,' Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 389-91.https://doi.org/10.1037/h0076629
- Heckman, JJ & Kautz, T 2012, 'Hard evidence on soft skills,' Labour Economics, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 451-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.labeco.2012.05.014
- Hollenbeck, JR, DeRue, DS & Guzzo, R 2004, 'Bridging the gap between I/O research and HR practice: Improving team composition, team training, and team task design,' Human Resource Management, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 353-66.https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.20029
- Kantrowitz, TM 2005, 'Development and construct validation of a measure of soft skills performance,' Georgia Institute of Technology, https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream/handle/1853/6861/kantrowitz_tracy_m_200505_phd.pdf viewed 20 May 2018.
- Keast, R 2011, 'Joined-up governance in Australia: How the past can inform the future,' International Journal of Public Administration, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 221-31. https://doi.org/10.1080/01900692.2010.549799
- Keast, R & Charles, MB WIP, The proliferation of integration terms in public management: Same or different and does it matter?, Unpublished work.
- Kumar, S & Hsiao, JK 2007, 'Engineers learn "soft skills the hard way": Planting a seed of leadership in engineering classes,' Leadership and Management in Engineering, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 18-23. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1532-6748(2007)7:1(18)
- Lambert, R 2003, Lambert review of business-university collaboration: Final report, HM Treasury, London, http://www.ncub.co.uk/reports/lambert-review.html, viewed 26 May 2017.
- Matteson, ML, Anderson, L & Boyden, C 2016, '"Soft Skills": A Phrase in Search of Meaning,' portal: Libraries and the Academy, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 71-88. https://doi.org/10.1353/pla.2016.0009
- News.com.au 2017, Dodgy Broad ban: AFL star's suspension slammed, News.com.au, http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/dodge-broad-ban-afl-stars-suspension-slammed/news-story/9bdd08058514b2c7d22bd26bebf2869d, viewed 31 October 2017.
- OECD 2017, OECD Skills Outlook 2017, OECD Publishing.
- OECD 2018, Transformative technologies and jobs of the future, Paris, France, https://www.oecd.org/innovation/transformative-technologies-and-jobs-of-the-future.pdf, viewed 2 April 2018.
- Oliver, D, Freeman, B, Young, C, Yu, S & Verma, G 2014, 'Employer satisfaction survey,' Canberra: Department of Education.
- Pant, I & Baroudi, B 2008, 'Project management education: The human skills imperative,' International Journal of Project Management, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 124-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2007.05.010
- Pierre, G, Sanchez Puerta, ML, Valerio, A & Rajadel, T 2014, STEP skills measurement surveys: innovative tools for assessing skills, World Bank, Washington DC.
- Project Management Institute 1996, A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® GUIDE), two edn, Project Management Institute, Project Management Institute Inc., Pennsylvania, USA.
- Project Management Institute 2017a, Certification Types, https://www.pmi.org/certifications/types, viewed 30/10/2017 .
- Project Management Institute 2017b, PMBOK Guide, six edn, Project Management Institute, Newtown Square, PA.
- PwC 2014, The Science of Alliances Success factors in Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances, http://www.pwc.com.au/pdf/science-of-alliances-2014.pdf, viewed 24 December 2016.
- Ramazani, J & Jergeas, G 2015, 'Project managers and the journey from good to great: The benefits of investment in project management training and education,' International Journal of Project Management, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 41-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2014.03.012
- Robinson, K 2010, Changing paradigms, RSA Animate, viewed 31 October 2017, <https://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_changing_education_paradigms>.
- Robles, MM 2012, 'Executive perceptions of the top 10 soft skills needed in today's workplace', Business Communication Quarterly, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 453-65. https://doi.org/10.1177/1080569912460400
- Sargut, G & McGrath, RG 2011, 'Learning to Live with Complexity,' Harvard Business Review, Boston, Massachusets, https://hbr.org/, viewed 10 September 2017.
- Stasz, C 2001, 'Assessing skills for work: two perspectives,' Oxford economic papers, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 385-405. https://doi.org/10.1093/oep/53.3.385
- TAFE NSW 2017, Assessment in Australian Vocational Education and Training (VET), http://lrrpublic.cli.det.nsw.edu.au/lrrSecure/Sites/Web/13289/resources/assessment_vet.htm , viewed 30 October 2017.
- Vangen, S & Huxham, C 2013, 'Building and using the theory of collaborative advantage,' Network theory in the public sector: Building new theoretical frameworks, pp. 51-67.
- Walker, N 2008, Teaching Quality Indicators Project, University of South Australia, Adelaide, SA, http://www.web.uwa.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/1891454/UniSA_Final_Report.pdf , viewed 29 September 2017.
- Williams, P 2002, 'The competent boundary spanner,' Public Administration, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 103-24. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9299.00296
- Zhang, F, Zuo, J & Zillante, G 2012, 'Identification and evaluation of the key social competencies for Chinese construction project managers', International Journal of Project Management, vol. 31, no. 5, pp.748-759. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2012.10.011