‘Job-ready’ project managers: Are Australian Universities preparing project managers for the impact of AI, ML and Bots?
- artificial intelligence,
- project management,
- future jobs,
- Australian universities
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Society stands on the threshold of the 4th Industrial Revolution, a change that will see Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML) and Robotisation (bots) take a central role in global economic and labour markets. The profession on project management must be impacted by these changes, and this research explores whether Australian Universities are preparing project managers to be 'job-ready' in this light of this
Relevance for Research and Education
This research explores the current project management education offerings in Australian Universities and compares these to current and/or future developments project management AI, ML and Bot technology.
This research uses a Grounded Theory methodology. Two data were collected and analysed. The first data were gathered from current project management courses offered by Australian Universities. These were categorised by the subjects offered and the duration of each course. The second data were gathered from project management “Educators”, “Developers” and ‘Practitioners” and explored the types of knowledge and skills these groups expected would be required in the coming 1,3,5 and 10-year time horizons. The data from each analysis was reviewed using a comparative assessment of education offerings against current and future project management skills.
This research concludes that the field of project management will see AI, ML and Bots having a significant impact on both ‘hard skill’ and ‘soft skill’ based tasks and processes within the next five - ten years. The research finds conclude that Australian Universities have, at best, 3 ‘teaching cycles’ to make the necessary changes, and that a failure to change project management curricula within the next five years will result in university graduates who are not ‘job-ready’ for the profession of project management
Our research has implications for both project management educators and practitioners. We found the impacts of the 4th industrial Revolution have the potential to significantly change the requirements for project management education and practice
artificial intelligence, machine learning, bots, education, Australian Universities.
- Adams, H. 2016, A Different Approach to Project Management: The Use of Soft Skills, Harrisburg University, viewed 15 October 2019, <http://digitalcommons.harrisburgu.edu/pmgt_dandt/2>
- Aga, D.A., Noorderhaven, N. & Vallejo, B. 2016, 'Transformational leadership and project success: The mediating role of team-building', International Journal of Project Management, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 806-18.
- Akhmetshin, E.M., Romanov, P.Y., Zakieva, R.R., Zhminko, A.E., Aleshko, R.A. & Makarov, A.L. 2019, 'Modern Approaches to Innovative Project Management in Entrepreneurship Education: A Review of Methods and Applications in Education', Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, vol. 22, pp. 1-15.
- Alam, M., Gale, A., Brown, M. & Khan, A. 2010, 'The importance of human skills in project management professional development', International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 495-516.
- Ang, C.S.K. 2018, 'Multi-stakeholder perspectives of value in project portfolios', UTS, Sydney.
- Atkinson, R. 1999, 'Project management: cost, time and quality, two best guesses and a phenomenon, its time to accept other success criteria', International Journal of Project Management, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 337-42.
- Bell, M.A. & Olomolaiye, A. 2012, 'An Interactive Project Management Lecture'.
- Berggren, C. & Söderlund, J. 2008, 'Rethinking project management education: Social twists and knowledge co-production', International Journal of Project Management, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 286-96.
- Bergman, I. & Gunnarson, S. 2014, 'Teaching organizational project management at postgraduate level', Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, vol. 119, pp. 446-55.
- Bodwell, W. & Chermack, T.J. 2010, 'Organizational ambidexterity: Integrating deliberate and emergent strategy with scenario planning', Technological Forecasting and Social Change, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 193-202.
- Bourne, L. & Walker, D.H. 2004, 'Advancing project management in learning organizations', The Learning Organization, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 226-43.
- Bredin, K. 2008, 'People capability of project-based organisations: A conceptual framework', International Journal of Project Management, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 566-76.
- Brown, T. 2008, 'Design Thinking', Harvard Business Review, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 84-92.
- Bughin, J., Seong, J., Manyika, J., Chui, M. & Joshi, R. 2018, 'Notes from the AI frontier: Modeling the impact of AI on the world economy', McKinsey Global Institute, Brussels, San Francisco, Shanghai, Stockholm.
- Butler, Y. 2015, 'First Word', Project Manager, vol. December 2015 - March 2016.
- Castelluccio, M. 2019, 'A NEW AI SOCIAL CONTRACT', Strategic Finance, vol. 100, no. 9, pp. 61-2.
- Charmaz, K. 2017, 'Constructivist grounded theory', The Journal of Positive Psychology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 299-300.
- Crawford, L., Morris, P., Thomas, J. & Winter, M. 2006, 'Practitioner development: From trained technicians to reflective practitioners', International Journal of Project Management, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 722-33.
- Dictionary.com n.d., Bots, viewed 14 October 2019, <https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bot>
- Dulewicz, V. & Higgs, M. 2005, 'Assessing leadership styles and organisational context', Journal of Managerial Psychology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 105-23.
- Eastman, C., Teicholz, P., Sacks, R. & Liston, K. 2011, BIM handbook: A guide to building information modeling for owners, managers, designers, engineers and contractors, John Wiley & Sons.
- El-Sabaa, S. 2001, 'The skills and career path of an effective project manager', International journal of project management, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 1-7.
- Feuillet, T. 2019, 'Humans and robots: How to create a better future together?', PM World Journal, vol. Vol. VIII, no. V - June 2019, pp. 1-30.
- Gaim, M. & Wåhlin, N. 2016, 'In search of a creative space: A conceptual framework of synthesizing paradoxical tensions', Scandinavian Journal of Management, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 33-44.
- Goodman, C.C. 2019, 'AI/Esq.: Impacts of Artificial Intelligence in Lawyer-Client Relationships', Oklahoma Law Review, vol. 72, no. 1, p. 149.
- Halstead, S. 1999, 'The management of soft projects', vol. 9, pp. 5/1-5/4.
- Järvensivu, T. & Törnroos, J.-Å. 2010, 'Case study research with moderate constructionism: Conceptualization and practical illustration', Industrial marketing management, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 100-8.
- Johansson-Sköldberg, U., Woodilla, J. & Çetinkaya, M. 2013, 'Design thinking: past, present and possible futures', Creativity and Innovation Management, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 121-46.
- Knox, D., Ellis, M., Speering, R., Asvadurov, S., Brinded, T. & Brown, T. 2017, 'The art of project leadership: Delivering the world's largest projects', McKinsey Capital Projects and Infrastructure Practice Sydney. AUSTRALIA.
- KPMG 2019, Future Ready Index: Leaders and followers in the engineering & construction industry - Global Construction Survey.
- LeVine, S. 2014, No one is prepared to stop the robot onslaught. So what will we do when it arrives?, Quartz, viewed 30 June 2019, <https://qz.com/940977/no-one-is-prepared-to-stop-the-robot-onslaught-so-what-will-we-do-when-it-arrives/>
- Levitt, R.E. & Kunz, J.C. 1987, 'Using artificial intelligence techniques to support project management', AI EDAM, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 3-24.
- Liedtka, J. 2015, 'Perspective: Linking design thinking with innovation outcomes through cognitive bias reduction', Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 925-38.
- Madsen, S. 2015, The power of project leadership: 7 keys to help you transform from project manager to project leader, Kogan Page Limited, London, United Kingdom.
- Marando, A. 2012, Balancing Project Management Hard Skills and Soft Skills, Brandeis University, viewed 15 October 2019, <http://projectmgmt.brandeis.edu/downloads/BRU_MSMPP_WP_Feb2012_Balancing_project_Management.pdf>
- Mason, J. 2017, 'Intelligent contracts and the construction industry', Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction, vol. 9, no. 3, p. 04517012.
- Matinheikki, J., Artto, K., Peltokorpi, A. & Rajala, R. 2016, 'Managing inter-organizational networks for value creation in the front-end of projects', International journal of project management, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 1226-41.
- Matinheikki, J., Pesonen, T., Artto, K. & Peltokorpi, A. 2017, 'New value creation in business networks: The role of collective action in constructing system-level goals', Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 67, pp. 122-33.
- McNamara, A. & Sepasgozar, S.M. 2018, 'Barriers and drivers of Intelligent Contract implementation in construction', Management, vol. 143, p. 02517006.
- Mertens, D.M. 2014, Research and evaluation in education and psychology: Integrating diversity with quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods, Sage publications.
- Encyclopedia of Research Design 2010, Sage Publications, Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Narh, N. 2013, 'Competencies of an effective project manager', PM world journal competencies of an effective project manager, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 14-24.
- Onwuegbuzie, A.J. 2002, 'Why can't we all get along? Towards a framework for unifying research paradigms', Education, vol. 122, no. 3, p. 518.
- Oxford 2019, Artificial Intelligence, viewed 19 September 2019, <https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/artificial_intelligence>
- Pant, I. & Baroudi, B. 2008, 'Project management education: The human skills imperative', International journal of project management, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 124-8.
- Prieto, B. 2019, 'Impacts of Artificial Intelligence on Management of Large Complex Projects', PM World Journal, vol. Vol. VIII, no. Issue V – June 2019.
- Project Management Institute (U.S.) 2017, A guide to the project management body of knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), 6th edn, Project Management Institute, Inc., Newtown Square, Pa.
- Rao, A.S. & Verweij, G. 2017, Sizing the prize: What’s the real value of AI for your business and how can you capitalise?, Price Waterhouse Cooper, viewed 18 September 2019, <https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/issues/analytics/assets/pwc-ai-analysis-sizing-the-prize-report.pdf>
- Reinert, H. & Reinert, E.S. 2006, 'Creative destruction in economics: Nietzsche, Sombart, schumpeter', Friedrich Nietzsche (1844–1900), Springer, pp. 55-85.
- Reinhardt, K., Brandt, K., Gerlach, C., Glöde, A. & Limbach, J. 2018, 'Study on the Impact of Artificial Intelligence on Competencies in Corporate Finance'.
- Senthilkumar, V., Varghese, K. & Chandran, A. 2010, 'A web-based system for design interface management of construction projects', Automation in Construction, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 197-212.
- Shenhar, A.J. 1999, 'Strategic project management: The new framework', paper presented to the Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET) Proceedings, Portland, OR.
- Sjöberg, C.M. 2019, 'Legal Automation: AI and Law Revisited', Legal Tech, Smart Contracts and Blockchain, Springer, pp. 173-87.
- Skilton, M. & Hovsepian, F. 2017, The 4th Industrial Revolution: Responding to the Impact of Artificial Intelligence on Business, Springer.
- Technopedia n.d., Internet Bot, viewed 14 October 2019, <https://www.technopedia.com/definition/24063/internet-bot>
- Thomas, J. & Mengel, T. 2008, 'Preparing project managers to deal with complexity–Advanced project management education', International journal of project management, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 304-15.
- Trevelyan, L. 2018, Rise of the robots: the implications for legal teams, viewed 26 July 2019, <https://www.ibanet.org/Article/NewDetail.aspx?ArticleUid=9bfea263-fa14-4e88-981f-5efa7b58 >
- Usher, G. 2019, 'Creating confidence amongst complexity: The 'lived experience' of client-side project managers in the Australian construction sector', University of Southern Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.
- Usher, G. & Whitty, S.J. 2017a, 'Embracing Paradox: Utilizing Design Thinking in Project Management'.
- Usher, G. & Whitty, S.J. 2017b, 'Identifying and managing Drift-changes', International Journal of Project Management, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 586-603.
- visual-paradigm 2019, What is PMBoK, visual paradigm, viewed 29 October 2019, <https://www.visual-paradigm.com/guide/pmbok/what-is-pmbok/>
- Weick, K.E., Sutcliffe, K.M. & Obstfeld, D. 2005, 'Organizing and the process of sensemaking', Organization Science, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 409-21.
- Winter, M., Smith, C., Morris, P. & Cicmil, S. 2006, 'Directions for future research in project management: The main findings of a UK government-funded research network', International journal of project management, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 638-49.
- Zhang, C.A., Dai, J. & Vasarhelyi, M.A. 2018, 'The Impact of DisruptiveTechnologies on Accounting and Auditing Education: How Should the Profession Adapt?', The CPA Journal, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 20-6.